Friday, January 26, 2007

What should I do if I think I am called?

Seek out counsel. Talk about your call or possible call with your pastor or youth pastor. In my denominational fellowship, the Assemblies of God, we have District Youth Directors. Contact them and let them know that you are following God's call in your life. And don't overlook your parents if you are a teen who is reading this blog. The scriptures tell us that there is wisdom in the multitude of counselors.

Some more advice that I would give in response to the question, "What should I do if I think I am called?" would be this. Get involved in ministry within your local church. Teach in a Sunday School class. Assist adult leaders. Learn by watching and listening to others who are already in ministry. Ask your pastor or youth pastor to mentor you. Develop your people skills. Learn how to resolve differences without causing division and strife. Develop your abilities to get along with people -- even the most stubborn person. Why? Because ministry is all about people.

Are you called? I would enjoy hearing from you. Drop me a note. Two more thoughts to consider regarding the call: "Where should I go to get my training?" and "Why should I become a credentialed minister?" I will try to answer those questions next week. In the mean time, have a great weekend. I head north to what we call "The County" to minister in one of our newer church plants. It will be fun! It's true. You read right. Ministry is fun!!

No comments: