Friday, January 12, 2007

Good Story Telling

This morning I was reading from Matthew 13 (NIV) and read the following: "That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. Then he told them many things in parables, saying . . ." (verses 1-3) The phrase, told them many things in parables caught my attention. I began to contemplate how relevant Jesus was in his time and how relevant he remains in this day too. Relevancy, it is absolutely necessary for the church and God's people. Relevancy without compromise. Relevancy without watering down the Truth. Relevancy without exageration in our story telling.

I can almost picture Jesus getting into the boat and sitting down somwhere along the shore line the Sea of Galilee. This past June I visited Israel and enjoyed the Galilee region. It is very picturesque. The hillsides and farm land that flow down toward the sea makes for some very pretty photographs. Farmers and fishermen must have been plenty in Jesus' day. So on this day he told a story, actually several stories (parables). Most of them in this chapyter dealt with farming. When he was done with his first story the disciples asked the question, "Why do you speak to the people in parables?" (verse 10 NIV) That question perked my interest this morning. Why do I tell stories, use illustrations, and analogies? What am I trying to accomplish with my story telling?

I like Jesus' response to the disciples question from the version called The Message. He replied, ". . . I tell stories: to create readiness, to nudge the people toward receptive insight." I like that answer. Relevant story telling nudges people toward receptivity and insight.

I want to be an effective communicator. I don't want the focus on me. I want the audience I am speaking too, to focus on the message. I am sure you want be an effective communicator also. This Sunday night and and next I will speaking to youth, subbing for our youth pastor who is with his family on a much needed and well deserved R & R. In order to be relevant I am going to tweek my communication style. Why? I want to nudge these students that I hang out with toward receptive insight.

Have a great weekend! I'm on my way out of here. I smell a fresh pot of "Sebago Sunrise" brewing at Maine Bean.

No comments: