Thursday, January 18, 2007

What do you want to be when you grow up?

When I was a teenager, that question was asked of me often. In fact, now I find myself asking that question often to teenagers I have contact with. Or I ask a similar question, "What are you going to do with your life?" Or this one, "What is your goal in life?" or even "If you could be anyone or anything, what is it that you would like to do to impact and make the world a better place?" It is absolutely fun to hear the answers, or to see the wheels of thought begin in one's face, expression, and body language. Some stumble along looking for an answer. Others are honest and say, "I don't know. Then still others know exactly what it is that they want to do.

I often conclude those moments with something like this. "Have you ever considered the calling of God on your life?" The seed has been planted (I'm trying to do that right now with you). I know that as Christians, whatever vocation one enters, it is to be ministry. I believe we are to minister, to be servants of Christ to our world. I hope you are. However, I also believe that God places special tasks on people for ministry in His Church and to the world (Ephesians 4:11).

God needs people who will give their lives to serve Him in specialized ministries such as pastors, missionaries, youth pastors, children's pastors, teachers, and evangelists, to name just a few. Jesus said, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few, Ask the Lord of the harvest therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field" (Matthew 9:37-38 NIV). Could it be that God is calling you? Do you know a young person God may be calling? There is no age limit when it comes to God's calling.

I love the ministry. Yes, it can difficult. Yes it can be challeging. BUT being a minister is a great calling! It is an honor and blessing to be a servant to God and people. Being a minister is a demanding task. But being a minister is also a rewarding experience! Being a minister takes a special person. It takes a CALLED person.

God might be calling you. You ask, "How will I know that?" Over the course of the next few days, I hope to answer that question. In the mean time, if you are considering the call of God or even just thinking about becoming a minister of the gospel as a vocation, I would love to hear from you. Maybe you know someone else who is considering God's call in their life, then why not direct them toward this blog.

No comments: