Friday, December 29, 2006

Team Work Leads to Winning Teams

Well, I am back. My computer hard drive failed. Call it a nightmare. I was working on my graduate project for my class on Effective Leadership,which is do in January. Fortunately, I was able to recover most of my work and then the hard drive failed again. Today I tried to log into my blogger account and could not, so I am on another computer for the time being.

For the next several days I will be camped out in front of my TV with remote in hand, switching between bowl games and munching on Jeanne's homemade chocolate chip cookies with a coffee cup in hand. Let the college football bowl rush begin. Actually, since Christamas, I have been taking in some of the earlier bowl games. It seems that each year another bowl game is added. Will it ever end? I hope not.

All this leads to this thought morning: winning teams. I have kept this quote around me for a long time. I am not sure who said it, but I liked it. "Individuals play the game, but teams win championships." What are the qualities of a team player? John Maxwell mentions seventeen in his book The 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player:

Adaptable:
If you won't change for the team, the team may change you.
Collaborative:
Working together precedes winning together.
Committed:
There are no halfhearted champions.
Communicative:
A team is many voices with a single heart.
Competent:
If you can't, your team won't.
Dependable:
Teams go to go-to players.
Disciplined:
Where there's a will, there's a win.
Enlarging:
Adding value to teammates is invaluable.
Enthusiastic:
Your heart is the source of energy for the team.
Intentional:
Make every action count.
Mission Conscious:
The (Big) picture is coming in loud and clear.
Prepared:
Preparation can mean the differencce between winning and losing.
Relational:
If you get along, others will go along.
Self-Improving:
To improve the team, improve yourself.
Selfless:
There is no I in team.
Solution Oriented:
Make a resolution to find the solution.
Tenacious:
Never, never, never quit.
As I watch the bowl games this weekend, I will be looking to see these qualities and listening to the commentators to hear these qualities. I will also be thinking about how I can translate my lessons from football into my daily life and walk with the Lord.

No comments: