Tuesday, December 19, 2006

My Christmas Gift to You

Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
(2 Corinthians 9:15 NIV)

Probably one word more than any other falls from our lips during the Christmas season. That word is "gift." What expectations do you have concerning the gifts you will receive?

Usually, a gift is exciting to receive. You open it up and exclaim how beautiful it is or how much you always wanted it or some similar comment.

I have received many gifts over the past fifty-five years. Most were pleasing. Most were what I had expected or hoped for. But then, there were a few that were real disappointments. Have you ever received a disappointing gift?

Jeanne on several occasions has asked me what I would like this Christmas. She asks me because she aims to please. She wants to fulfill expectations.

Christmas lists - we all have them. We are willing to give that list to anyone who will listen.

This Christmas, I have another list. It is my request for you to my
Heavenly Father.

At the top of the list is my request for grace. More than ever before I am convinced that I cannot make it myself. I need God's help. It takes grace to bear up under trials and difficulties. Trials, situations, and circumstances change, but grace never changes. Grace delivers and grace bears. Thus, I am asking God to give you grace this Christmas.

My second request is for peace. The war in Iraq and Afghanistan, the continued conflict in the Middle East between countries, and the continued threat of terrorism bears this out. Then also, there are so many shattered and broken relatioships in need of healing. So I am asking God to give His peace to you.

To keep my list short, my third request is for joy. Life is so full and hectic. There are so many around me who are feeling frazzled. Life is robbing many of their joy. But at Christmas we are reminded of One who brings us great joy - the Christ Child!

James wrote: "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

If I could give you any gift this year, it would be these three spiritual qualities: grace, peace, and joy.

No comments: