Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A Child Is Born - His Name?

A young woman walked into my office yesterday and announced, "We're having a baby." This will be her and her husband's third child. Yet, in the announcement there was pride, excitement and anticipation. I was reminded of her announcement as I read the words of Isaah, the prophet, "For to us a child is born,to us a son is given," (Isaiah 9:6 NIV). It won't be long before these young parents will be discussing the naming of their child to be. Names are important. They mean something. My name means "watchful." Having been a pastor and now district leader, I understand the value of my name. As a minister, I am like a shepherd watching over his flock. That name has meaning, yet, I don't really know how my parents ever decided on the name "Gregory." Did they know my name's meaning? Did they have a seed thought of who I would become? Undoubtedly, God did ,and in His sovereign way, He had a part in my naming somehow.

Listen to names of the child to be born to us in Isaiah's announcement: "And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Those names mean something. Those names describe the child that was to be born and was born nearly two thousand years ago. A child whose birth is still being celebrated every year on December 25th. His name is Jesus, "because he will save his people from their sins."

Jesus is our Wonderful Counselor.
Jesus is our Mighty God.
Jesus is our Everlasting Father.
Jesus is our Prince of Peace.

No comments: