Friday, August 03, 2007

Life Is Like . . . Boating

It is a really hot day today. In fact it has been this way most of the week. It's a good thing. I am on vacation and can enjoy these hot days out on the lake. Which got me to thinking about an upcoming topic that I have been asked to address in my preaching at one of our newer church plants, Life! Church. The pastor asked me if I would participate in a series of Sunday messages called "Life Is Like . . ."

Some of the topics being approached is Life Is like . . . Skydiving. Another is Life Is Like . . . Hiking. My assigned topic: Life Is Like . . . Boating.

Here's the outline of my general thoughts.

Introduction
- Jesus was an avid boater. He spent a great deal of time near the Sea of Galilee. Boats were used for travel, transportation of goods, and livelihood (fishing).

- My boating world is for pleasure. I have learned some valuable life lessons through my boating experience.

Talking Points
1. Boating requires preparation - Luke 5:1-3

2. Boating requires launching. Be sure your drain plug is in - Luke 5:4-5

3. Expect the unexpected when boating. Keep your life preserver nearby – Mark 4:35-41

- Unknown currents (drifting) – Hebrews 2:1
- Unforeseen (hidden) surprises – Matthew 14:22. Think Titanic. Quote: “life below the waterline” – Gordon McDonald
- Storms (wind and waves) – Matthew 14:23-27. Know the signs – Matthew 16:1-4
- Breakdown (failure) – Matthew 14:28-32. Quote: “The only time you fail is the last time you try.” - unknown

4. Boating is fulfilling – John 10:10

- Boating is fun in spite of the surprises and cost. So is life! – Luke 5:6-11.
- Serving Christ only will lead to fulfillment in life.

I am off to morrow to attend a Church Planting Facilitator Training Summit, General Prebyter meetings, and General Council, all being held in Indianapolis. I won't be back until the 13th. Hopefully, I will have some time to blog and let you know what is happening and what I am thinking. This General Council is pivotable for our Fellowship. Keep the Assemblies of God in prayer. We are electing three of executive officers and several important issues are to be discussed and acted upon during the general business sessions. For more on that, you can go to http://www.futureag.blogspot.com/

No comments: