Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Team Communities

Most of my life as a youth, I was involved in team sports. Recently in my master's course, Effective Leadership, I wrote about team leadership. Teams are effective. Bill Hybels talks about team communities in his book, Courageous Leadership. I quote from his book the following:

When Dr. Graham stood to receive his medal, he looked at the award and then quietly said, "This medal is really not for me. This medal is for our team. We've been together for forty-five years. Wwithout each member my life would not have been the same. I owe them so much." Then he listed, one by one, thames of those who had formed the core of his evangelistic ministry. As he spoke their names he struggled to contain his emotion.

Still, I did not fully realize how deeply Dr. Graham and his associates valued team until, sometime later, I enjoyed a visit at his home in Montreat, North Carolina. He led me down the hill from his home and pointed out the houses being built nearby bsome of his team members. Apparently, forty-five years of togetherness was not enough for this tightly knitm. Even as they neared the end of their lives, they wanted to be together, caring for and supporting each oth, just as they had throughout their ministry years. I was deeply moved by their commitment to stay together all the way to the end.

Jesus too provides us a model of a leader who built a cohesive, loving team. One incident toward the end of his life is particularly touching. On the eve of his betrayal, he gathered his team together in the Upper Room and drew them close with these words: "I earnestly desire to share the meal with you." Then he broke the bread and shared the wine. His instructions for the future were specific. They were to continue this practice of remembering him, in community. Think of it. The first time communion was ever taken it was a team experience. And it's suppose to continue to be a team experience.

Has anyone experienced authentic team community? Does anyone desire to be a part of such team community? What is team community like for those who are experiencing it?

I have experienced similar team community while playing peewee football. Our team was always together on and off the field. We would spend nights together, eat together, play together. We would go to the high school football games together and sit in the bleachers together. We would where our game jersey everywhere so people could identify us as a team. And because of that community we had a winning record, undefeated champions in our division. I again experienced team community playing high school football. We were always together, doing things together. And when we get together now at our reunions we reminisce about "the good old days." Then we called it camaraderie. Today, I think Hybels would refer to it as team community.

I am also experiencing it today, being involved in the District leadership team. I have a wonderful relationship with my fellow district officers. It is a pleasure to get together with them. We deeply care aboout one another and each other's family. We spend time together. In fact, I am looking forward to next week at General Presbytery meetings and General Council as the three of us can spend time together. We have been apart lately due to vacations. I miss our talks and laughter. I miss the sharing time. It will be good to catch up.

Now what about you? Let me know what you think about the concept of team community.

No comments: