Monday, July 23, 2007

Run the Race in Order to Finish

Paul wrote:

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 The Message
[24] You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. [25] All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally. [26] I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! [27] I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.

Back in the 1980's and early 1990's I was an avid long distant road runner. I trained daily and ran in 5K and 10k road races weekly. I even ran in a marathon. I learned some valuable lessons from those earlier days that have guided me spiritually, also. Here's a few of those thoughts.

1. The Christian race is not a sprint. It isn't over in 10 seconds as is the 100 meter dash. It is more like a marathon. It's grueling. It's long. Therefore, pace your self for the long haul.

2. Because our Christian race is more like a marathon, we must learn to run our race at at a pace that is best for each individual. One of the things I learned was that I might do well in my age bracket, but there were always runners who could outrun me. I soon learned that it was more important to run against my personal best time than to run against the best of the best. Each time I tried to run against the best, I found myself doing poorly (time wise). I go home from the race frustrated and disappointed with myself. However, when I ran against my personal best time and beat it, I felt good about my accomplishment. I learned that it was more important to run against myself than to run against others in the race. In our Christian race we need to learn how to pace ourselves. We need to learn how to accept our limitations and learn to depend more on God in our weaknesses. It's not just about winning - its about finishing. We don't have to prove ourselves. It is God who validates who we are. Somebody will always be better than you.

At the 1968 Mexico City Olympics, only a few thousand spectators remained in the stadium following the running of the marathon. It was more than an hour since the first three runners had finished. As these final spectators were leaving, they were suddenly aroused by the sound of sirens going off and policemen blowing their whistles. Confused, the spectators turned to look toward the entrance floor of the stadium. There entering the stadium came a lone figure wearing the colors of Tanzania. The runner's name was Steven Akhwari. He was the last runner to finish. His leg was bloody and bandaged and he grimaced with each step. He had severally injured his knee in a fall. He painfully hobbled around the 400 meter track. The remaining spectators rose and applauded the courage of this man as if he were a winner. After crossing the finish line, he walked off the field without turning to the cheering crowd. Later asked why he had not quit, since his task was so painful and he had no chance of winning a medal, he said: “My country did not send me 7000 miles to start the race. They sent me 7000 miles to finish it.”

Competition can be good. It helps us to strive to become better. But it can also become a weight around our neck when we begin compare ourselves to others or are unwilling to recognize and accept our limitations. I think the emphasis that Paul is making is on finishing. We all are winners in God's eyes when we cross that final finish line.

No comments: