Monday, July 02, 2007

A Spirit-Filled Life

Well, vacation is over and I am rested and ready to face a new week. It started early this morning. I have been busy the past hour doing my email responses. Seems like a ton of them. I still have several to go but thought about a quick break to blog, since I even stayed away from that for a week. An not to mention my in file with a stack of paper to go through. Why is it that vacation gets you rested but when its over you have double the amount of work to do catching up? Doesn't seem fair does it?

This morning I was reading from 2 Timothy. Paul exhorted Timothy "to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you" (2 Timothy 1:6 NIV). Since I have begun a series on the Spirit Filled Life among a group of twenty somethings, this verse grabbed my attention. How often we allow the gift or gifts that God has given us to either grow cold or lay dormant in our lives. By doing so, we remain or become ineffective in life and in the church. God gives us gifts to be used for His glory. In a previous letter to Timothy, Paul had instructed this young man to "not neglect your gift, which was given you" (1 Timothy 4:14 NIV). Spiritual gifts are given to each and everyone of us for a purpose. Paul told the church in Ephesus that spiritual gifts are meant "to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:12-13 NIV).

A question that we need to be asking ourselves is, "What gifts have God blessed me with?" Another question we need to be asking "What am I doing with those gifts to glorify God and build up others?"

W.I. Evans wrote: "The need of the Pentecostal people is not primarily to pray for the gifts. Gifts are here. Our need is to seek God and press into God in living faith so that the gifts lying dormant, enough to set the world on fire, may come into exercise."

Have a great day! It's time for me to get back to catching up on my office work.

No comments: