Thursday, August 16, 2007

What are you doing with your talents?

I was reading the Parable of the Talents from Matthew 25:14-30 this morning in preparation for a talk with my twenty-somethings tomorrow night at our gathering. Here were just a few of my thoughts as I read and reflected on this passage. The Parable of the Talents is one of several parables that Jesus shared regarding the coming kingdom of heaven (chapters 23-25).

Think back in your life to when you were in school. Who was one of the most talented people you ever knew? What happened to that person? What were you known for in school? What talents did people recognize in you?

How am I cultivating and developing my Spiritual gifts? Paul exhorted Timothy with these words:

“. . . train yourself to be godly.” 1 Timothy 4:7

“. . . fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.” 2 Timothy 1:6

It is my Christian duty and responsibility to cultivate (nurture) those gifts that God has given to me “so that the body of Christ may be built up” (Eph. 4:12).

If my Master, Jesus, returned today, what would he have to say about the way I have used the Spiritual gifts (talents) that he has given me? What kind of responsibility do I feel I have toward God regarding these Spiritual gifts? Toward others? I hope my questions have stirred you to reflect about those gifts, talents, and abilities with which God has blessed you.

1 comment:

Georgia, Tampa FL said...

Thank you for your theme on "Your Talents" It has assisted me for my small study group's theme for tonight. God Bless you!