Monday, October 30, 2006

Esprit de Corps

This morning I was reading from Galatians 5 about our life in the Spirit. The words "let us keep in step with the Spirit" (verse 25) captured my thoughts for a few minutes. Back in the late 60's, I attended a miltary college for a short time. Believe it or not, I enjoyed the early morning drill time as we marched off to chow from our assembly point in front of our barracks. There was something very stimulating about marching in time as a company and integrating with the other companies to form our brigade and continue our march to the mess hall. The synchronization and coordination and timing all came together to form one unified movement of of corps of cadets toward an objective - chow. It was sound of the boots hitting the pavement that I can still hear in my mind that stands out. We were all in step.

Paul, the writer of Galatians wrote, "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." Synchronization, coordination, unison - all carry the idea of being in step with God. What do you think? Are you in step? Living by the Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Gal. 5:22).

2 comments:

Sharon said...

What a great post! I immediately think of Abraham and Ishmael. Abraham was in step with the Spirit then jumped ahead. I then turn my thinking towards marching. To walk in synchronization it takes 1)awareness 2) alertness 3)adjustments . Hmm- got the wheels a turning. Sounds like a good sermon starter to pass along to my husband! Blessings!

Pastor Gregg said...

Sharon:
A great sermon outline for your husband to build on. I hope he does.