Monday, October 08, 2007

Favor with God and Man

It is apparent that Christianity no longer gets fair treatment from the media as do other religions. Jesus warned us that we would be hated by the world. Yet, as I was reading this morning, these words stood out:

1 Samuel 2:26 NIV
And the boy Samuel continued to grow in stature and in favor with the Lord and with men.

I found myself praying, "Lord, I want to grow in your stature and with men." As I continued to meditate on these words, I recalled a similar verse in Luke about Jesus.

Luke 2:52 NIV
And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

As I reflected on both Samuel's and Jesus' spiritual growth, I began asking myself this question: "How can I grow in stature with the Lord and with men in this world when there seems to be so much hatred toward Christianity?" It seemed that the Lord was giving me the answer in Proverbs.

Proverbs 3:1-4 NIV
My son, do not forget my teaching,but keep my commands in your heart, or they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity. Let love and faithfulness never leave you;bind them around your neck,write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.

Another version says it this way in verse 4: "Earn a reputation for living well in God's eyes and the eyes of the people." (The Message)

I like that. Be faithful to God and love your enemies. Isn't that what Jesus said?

No comments: