Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Faithfulness Regardless of Life's Circumstances

I just started another book. This one is a biography, The Life and Diary of David Brainerd. I only had time to read the preface this morning, but already I am intrigued by the man's short but powerful witness of his faithfulness under extremely difficult circumstances in just a short 28 years of life. Brainerd was a missionary to native Americans in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York during the early 1740's. My ancestral roots revolve around those three states too, so the book only adds to my interest. Brainerd was a close friend of Jonathan Edwards. Both these men were profoundly affected by the Great Awakening. I was reminded of the Apostle Paul's words as I was reading, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day — and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing" (2 Timothy 4:7-8 NIV). God calls us to be faithful regardless of life's blessings or life's trials.

No comments: