Monday, June 11, 2007

An Overcomer

This has been a very busy weekend for Jeanne and me. We have been celebrating the graduation of a very special young lady friend of ours. Her name is Joy. For the past three and a half years, Jeanne and I have been investing our lives into this teenager. as mentor, tutor and friend. We consider her family.

It all began while I was observing a fifteen year old young lady, with outstretched arms, desperately crying out to God on a Sunday morning for help. In that moment, God gently spoke to me that He was going to answer her cry through my obedience to Him. I went home that Sunday and told Jeanne about God’s impression upon me. Together, Jeanne and I entered into the journey fully committed to fulfill God’s plan, whatever that might be. It has been a wonderful journey for all of us, in spite of a few bumps and prodding along the way. Jeanne and I are so very proud of all her accomplishments in such a short time. God has truly blessed her commitment and hard work, as she tenaciously pursued to become all that He wanted her to become.

I clearly remember one of my very first conversations with Joy, not long after God impressed upon me, that I was to do whatever was necessary to encourage and lead her in His plan. It was a Sunday night at youth group, and I had asked Joy what her goals were. She basically answered that she didn’t have any, other than that she hoped she could complete her high school education, although at the time, it seemed like an impossible task. Over the course of the next few years much has occurred. Together, with her parent’s permission and encouragement, we embarked on an ambitious plan that included a more structured home school setting, tutoring, and eventual enrollment at Windham Christian Academy.

Joy has exceeded and surpassed everyone's expectations, including her own. She finished her Junior year at Windham with a 92 average and as an honor student. This year she has graduated with high honors and a 96 GPA (2nd in her class). I have watched her blossom and come alive with confidence during the past three years. She has overcome a low self-opinion of herself and turned into a bright, cheerful and confident young woman. She has taken advantage of the opportunities that have been afforded her, to develop academically, emotionally, and spiritually. Joy has had to work double hard to get to the point of where she is now. Where as before, she had little hope and few goals for life, now before her are visions and dreams and great opportunities. She has a hope filled future.

Joy is about to embark on a new journey. She is accepted to Valley Forge Christian College and has received several scholorships to help make her dream financially possible. Joy is an overcomer! Her successes did not come about the easy way. It was the result of having put God first in her life and by diligently and doggedly working hard. God has rewarded Joy's efforts. This all brings me to my point of this blog this morning.

God makes many promises to the overcomer. He mentions seven in Revelations:

Revelation 2:7 NIV
To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

Revelation 2:11 NIV
who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death.

Revelation 2:17 NIV
To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.

Revelation 2:26 NIV
To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations . . .

Revelation 3:5-6 NIV
He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.

Revelation 3:12 NIV
Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God.

Revelation 3:21-22 NIV
To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.

God rewards those who dilgently seek after Him. Congratulations Joy! Jeanne and I so very proud of you. I have always believed in you because God first believed in you. You are an inspiration to anyone who faces obstacles and difficulties. They can be overcome as we put our faith, trust, and confidence in Him. The Bible clearly states that we will reap what we sow.

No comments: