Friday, June 08, 2007

I Say "Amen!"

I'm sitting at my favorite coffee shop in Windham, Maine, sipping some good coffee and catching up on some reading. I just got done reading The Pastor's Weekly Briefing by H.B. London and was deeply moved by it. I want to share the article with you.

WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR YOUR CHILDREN?

It is very difficult not to get caught up in the adventures and consequences of Hollywood's "bad girls." The names Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan and Nicole Richie dominate news shows, newspapers and magazines. These young ladies, all under the age of 26, have become famous more for their misdeeds than their accomplishments. It has been said, "Fame, money and power change everything." Would you agree?

It is also a sad commentary on our society when the young ladies mentioned above become the role models for pre-teen and teenage girls around the world. Paris Hilton was in jail (apparently now under house arrest), Lindsay Lohan is in re-hab, Nicole Richie is fighting to stay out of jail, and Britney Spears, the mother of two, is saying she has hit bottom ... and yet they are role models? Go figure.

In a USAToday survey taken last weekend, people said money, fame and the negative influence of Hollywood had more to do with their bad behavior than parents doing a poor job. I wonder? I believe parents matter and they matter a lot. I also would think the parents of the four troubled ladies are heartsick at what they see.

Pastors, your children live in a fishbowl. The smaller the church, the larger the bowl — simply because your children find themselves in the spotlight.

Bev and I are very proud of our two sons. They are both married with two children. Each of them has a teenage daughter. I know our girls are aware of the "famous four" we have been discussing.

I wish the following for my two granddaughters:

I want them to experience unconditional love, but with limits and parameters.

I want them to grow under Christian influence. I want them to model their parents' values.

I want their fathers to be their heroes, not some rock star or movie celebrity.

I also want for them good guidance from their moms on what they wear, and how they look in public. Sometimes, parents must say "no" regardless of the reaction.

I want for my granddaughters open communication. I want them to be able to discuss anything with their parents.

I also want them to understand the value of a dollar.

I want for them friends who have good morals themselves, and good parental influence.

I don't want my granddaughters to think Britney, Lindsay, Nicole and Paris are "cool." I love them too much.

What do you want for your children?

Be blessed and be a blessing. —HBL
All I can say is "AMEN!"
You can subscribe to this news letter:
Sign up today at www.parsonage.org/forms/subscriptions.cfm. It's free!

No comments: