Friday, November 17, 2006

A Sweet Aroma

As I do each morning, I got up and went downstairs for my cup of coffee and quiet time before the Lord, with my Bible open. The aroma of my coffee and a few sips later, I found myself reflecting on its aroma and contemplating these words:

2 Co 2:15-17 NIV
For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task? Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God.

I breathed these words of prayer in my early morning quietness. "Father, may the fragrance that comes forth in my life each day be appealing to those in whom I come in contact. May I have a refreshing word and a sensitive spirit toward all those who surround my life today. May I be like this cup of coffee."

Now you may not like coffee, but I suspect that even if you don't, there is something about that aroma that still is attractive. As a child, I hated the taste of coffee, but I can still remember the aroma of it in my mom's cup. There was something appealing about the smell, even though I thought it bitter in taste. It was later in life that I acquired a taste for coffee. Could it be that some people need time to acquire the taste of Christ? But in the mean time the aroma remains attractive?

I guess it's time to head off to Maine Bean (my favorite Friday AM stop for coffee) for a large cup of Cabin Comfort and post this blog. Let the fragrance of Christ radiate from you, the vessal or cup or container, which God has always wanted you to be. Have a great weekend.

No comments: