Monday, November 20, 2006

Another Chance

I watched this past weekend's game between unbeaten #1 Ohio State and unbeaten #2 Michigan. It was a great game. Too bad somebody had to lose. Ohio State won. Too bad these two teams coudn't meet again in the BCS for the national title. Even though I was cheering for Ohio (Yes, I am still a Penn State diehard), Michigan is well deserving of a number two ranking after having lost to the Buckeyes. But pollsters will probably drop the Woverines to number 3 or 4. Which means someone else will get a chance to play for the national title against Ohio in January. Right now my guess is USC. I haven't read any sports news this morning, yet. Personally, I think Michigan is still the best match up with Ohio for the national championship game. Too bad they won't get another chance. It would make for another great game. This all leads me to my thought this morning on another chance.

Jesus had warned Peter that he would deny the Lord three times before the rooster would crow. Peter said it would not happen. But it did! We read about it in the gospels. However, Peter was given another chance. In John 21, we read about Jesus' resurrection appearance along the Galilean Sea. Peter and six other disciple went fishing. Jesus appeared and asked them what they caught. They said they had caught nothing. Jesus then instructed them to cast their net on the other side of the boat and the second miraculous catch occurred in the New Testament.

My focus this morning is on the conversation between Jesus and Peter following that catch of fish (John 21:15-17). Jesus, twice asked Peter, "Do you truly love me." Jesus used the "agapeo" form of the Greek word for love. In other words, he was asking, "Do you love me with a never ending love, an unconditional love?.

Both times Peter answered back, "Yes, Lord, you know I love you." Peter used the the "phileo" form of the Greek word for love. In other words, Peter was saying, "I love you as a friend, that has limits. Somehow, Jesus had disappointed Peter's expectation of the Messiah's identity. Jesus had not fulfilled what Peter wanted. "Lord, you frustrated me. I've gotten angry with you."

A third time Jesus reconciled by asking Peter using the Greek word "phileo" instead of "agapeo" form of the word for love. Jesus asked, "Do you love me as a friend with limitations?" (my translation). Peter responds, You know everything. You understand how I feel. Yes, you disappointed me. I love you as a friend" (my translation). Jesus' act of reconciliation was this, "Feed my sheep. I leave you in the job of shepherd of the flock" (my translation).

Some people choose to go through life alienated, bitter, and distant from others. Some choose to be reconciled. Jesus chose to give Peter another chance. Perhaps you are disappointed with someone and need to reconcile. You can choose to give them another chance. Perhaps you are disappointed with God. You need to give Him another chance. After all, God was not created by man. Man was created by God. Be reconciled.

No comments: