Monday, September 24, 2007

The Twist and Turn of Life

My past weekend was filled with twists and turns.

First twist: On Saturday I drove a van load of twenty-somethings to Boston for a day outing. The day started out foggy, so I traveled with headlights on. We parked outside Boston and took the "T" into the city for a sunny fun filled day. We returned to the van, only to discover that I had forgot to turn the headlights off that morning when we had parked. So we faced the obstacle of a dead battery. It was easily overcome when a helpful young lady and her companion in their car offered to jump start the van after a search for cables which led us to another willing individual who provided them for us.

Second twist on Saturday. Penn State was playing Michigan and I really hated to miss the game on ABC, so I taped the game on my DVR for later viewing when I got home. I was careful not hear or look for the score during my day in Boston. I got home around 10 PM and decided to zip through the commercials and watched the recorded game. I stayed up until a little past mid-night, only to have my Penn State team lose to Michigan for the ninth straight time 14-9. Two critical fumbles on Penn State's behalf really sealed the lost. A dismal loss.

The Lord's Day, Sunday, I make my way to church to worship the Lord and spend time with the family of God. It was a beautiful Fall day. Sunday afternoon, I had to choose between my watching my Patriots or getting a few hours of sun out on the lake. I chose the latter, knowing that my NE Patriots could dispose of Buffalo - which they did. But in the back of my mind I was still thinking about how Penn State had lost, so I didn't tape the game to watch later. The day ended on a positive note - to a packed weekend.

Life is filled with twists and turns, disappointments and joys, surprises and the obvious. Although nothing really serious had occurred to me this past weekend, the events reminded me that regardless what happens to us in life, there is always One who is prepared to help us and lead us. As I opened my Bible Sunday morning in church, I found these notes that I had hand written near the passage of Scripture that described the temptation of Jesus in Matthew 4:

"Today's decisions foreshadow tomorrow's challenges and reflect yesterday's choices." - Alicia Chole, Anonymous.

No comments: