Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Four Seasons

Spring is only a week away. I can't wait as I am not really a winter person and here I am living and ministering in Maine. Go figure. This got me to thinking about seasons. Ecclesiastes 3:1 says that "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens." We live in four seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. I think of Spring is a season for planting, Summer as a time for harvest, Fall as time for storing or consolidating, and Winter as a time for lifelessness or hibernation.

There are seasons in in the church too. Right now Paradigm, a ministry to twenty-somethings that I am facilitating is in the growth mode (harvest time). There has been a 100% increase in attendance within the last four weeks. This has me and these young adults rejoicing. At the same time it has me thinking about the next season to come and what should be done.

Bill Hybels in his book, axiom, describes the leaders responsibility to know the seasons. He mentions five. Four of them compare with the seasonal changes I have already mentioned. They are (1) season of growth, (2) season of consolidation, (3) season of transition, (4) season of malaise, and (5) season reinvention. We might apply these seasonal changes not only to organizational changes but also to personal changes in our lives.

No comments: